British Passport Holder

If you already hold a British passport or are eligible to apply for one then it doesn’t matter where you were born or where you live; you are eligible to work in the UK without needing sponsorship.

Check if you can apply to become a British Citizen here

Get in touch See our jobs

Irish Candidates (Common Travel Area)

Irish Citizens do not require sponsorship to work in the UK due to Common Travel Area (CTA) arrangement. Irish citizens can move freely and reside in the UK and enjoy associated rights and privileges, including the right to work.

The CTA long-standing arrangement between the UK and Ireland pre-dates both British and Irish membership of the EU and is not dependent on it, meaning Brexit has no effect.

Get in touch See our jobs

Youth Mobility Visa (Tier 5)

If you are relocating from Canada, Australia and New Zealand (or a few other countries too) and are aged 30 or under, this is the Visa Type that you are most likely to apply for. It gives you the freedom to come to the UK for up to 2 years and is not linked to any specific job or company. read more about the Youth Mobility Visa below.


You can apply for a Youth Mobility Scheme visa (T5) if you:

  • Want to live and work in the UK for up to 2 years

  • Are aged 18 to 30

  • Have £2,530 in savings

  • Have certain types of British Nationality or are from certain countries or territories

  • Meet the other eligibility requirements

How long you can stay

  • You’ll be given a visa to live and work in the UK for up to 24 months.

  • You can enter the UK at any time while your visa is valid, and leave and come back at any time during your stay.

  • If you turn 31 while you’re in the UK, you can stay for as long as your visa is valid.


You can apply for a Youth Mobility Scheme visa (T5) if you’re aged 18 to 30 and you’re from:

  • Australia

  • Canada

  • Hong Kong

  • Japan

  • Monaco

  • New Zealand

  • Republic of Korea

  • San Marino

  • Taiwan

You can also apply if you’re 18 to 30 and a:

  • British overseas citizen

  • British overseas territories citizen

  • British national (overseas)

You cannot apply if you have:

  • Children under the age of 18 who live with you

  • Children you’re financially responsible for

  • Already been in the UK under the scheme


When should I apply and how long it will take?

The earliest you can apply for a visa is 6 months before you travel. For example, you can apply from 16 January if you plan to travel on 15 July. You should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks when you apply from outside the UK. - Find out about paying for a faster decision

How much will it cost?

It costs £244 to apply for the Youth Mobility Visa. You’ll also have to pay the healthcare surcharge as part of your application. The normal cost for this for two years is £940 and it gives you access to the UK’s National Healthcare Service. Please double-check how much you’ll have to pay here before you apply

Do I need additional funds?

  • You must have at least £2,530 in your bank account to show you can support yourself in the UK. This is called 'Money to Support Yourself'

  • You will need to have had the money available for at least 28 days in a row. Day 28 must be within 31 days of applying for this visa.

  • You’ll need to show proof of this when you apply

  • Read the guidance on financial evidence for more information about the money you need and how to prove it

  • Please note that this is not a cost. You just need these funds as evidence you can support yourself when you arrive in the UK

Documents you must provide

  • A valid passport or another document that shows your identity and nationality

  • A bank statement showing you have at least £2,530 in savings

  • Your tuberculosis (TB) test results if you’re from a country where you have to take the test - check here

  • You need a blank page in your passport for your visa.

  • You’ll need to provide a certified translation of any documents that are not in English or Welsh.

Get in touch See our jobs

Skilled Worker Visa (Tier 2)​

This is normally the route teachers will take if they are not eligible for any other visa, as it is a slightly longer and more expensive process. The Skilled Worker visa offers a route into the UK for teachers who have a full-time job offer from a school. The school employing you will need to have a licence to issue sponsorship and need to apply for a ‘Certificate of Sponsorship’.​

What is a Certificate of Sponsorship?

This is an electronic document that you require to complete your application for the Skilled worker visa. For your school to be able to issue you with a COS they will need to have a licence to issue sponsorship and will then need to make an application specific to you. Once the application has been granted, your school will be able to give you a reference number for you to use in your visa application.

Who can get a Tier 2 Visa

Since January 2021, the process has become a lot simpler than before and all qualified Primary, Secondary and Special Education Needs teachers are eligible to qualify for a Skilled Worker visa.

Requirements to be eligible for a Tier 2 Visa

  • Certificate of Sponsorship (COS)– this is an electronic document that confirms the details of the job offer. Your school will be able to give you a reference number once this has been issued to them

  • Appropriate Salary – you will need to be offered a job with a salary of at least £25,600. (Unless you are a teacher of a shortage subject, in which case the salary will need to be at least £20,480).

  • Money to Support Yourself – You must have had a minimum of £945 in your bank account for at least 3 months (plus £630 for each dependant) to prove you can support yourself and them. (If you have a fully approved A-rated sponsor who can cover this £945 then this might not be required. The amount for dependents will however still be required. This would need to be confirmed at the time that they apply for the COS).

  • English language Requirement -You’ll usually need to prove your knowledge of the English language when you apply, unless you did this in a previous successful visa application.

Documents needed when you apply

  • your certificate of sponsorship reference number

  • evidence of how the English language requirement is met

  • a bank or building society statement or letter that shows you have enough personal savings to meet the Money to Support Yourself requirement – (unless your certificate of sponsorship shows your sponsor has certified maintenance)

  • a current passport or travel document to prove that you can travel – you need a blank page in your passport for your visa

  • expired passports or travel documents, if you need them to show your travel history

  • a criminal record certificate from any country you have spent more than 6 months in the last 5 years

  • a TB test result if applying from certain countries;

  • Biometrics (fingerprints and photographs) will also be taken at the visa application centre as part of the process.

Family members

Your family members (‘dependants’) can come with you when you come to the UK on this visa. Your family members must have a visa if they are not British or Irish Citizens.

A ‘dependant’ is any of the following:

  • your husband, wife or partner

  • your child under 18

  • your child over 18 if they’re currently in the UK as a dependant

How do I apply?

Applicants who are applying from overseas must apply using an online application form which can be accessed via this section of the Home Office’s guidance (the green button saying (“apply now”).

How much does it cost?

Visa Costs

Calculating visa fees has become fairly complex, so much so that thankfully the Home Office has a dedicated how much it costs page - found here

The basic visa fees range from £610 – £1,408 depending on the length of the visa being sought, the exact type of role and whether applying from inside or outside the UK. Lower fees apply to roles on the shortage occupations list.

Immigration Health Surcharge

There’s also the Immigration Health Surcharge of £624 per year of the visa per person, which must be paid upfront.

Please click here for more detailed information regarding the total costs

Biometric appointment and beyond

Once you have completed your visa application, most applicants will need to book and attend a biometric appointment — this is where fingerprints and a photograph are taken via a visa application centre.

You can check where the closest visa application centres are by clicking this link

EU nationals with a chip in their passport will be able to apply using an app — (we are waiting for more details on this)

Once the details have been provided via the appointment or app, a Home Office caseworker will review the application and make a decision on whether or not to grant the visa.

The current stated processing times are:

  • 3 weeks for applications filed outside the UK

  • 8 weeks for applications filed inside the UK Fast track options are usually available which can significantly reduce the turnaround times, however, there is an enhanced cost associated

There is also the potential in more complex cases for the processing time to take longer.

Get in touch See our jobs

Ancestry Visa

This is a 5-year visa that allows the holder to work in the UK without requiring additional sponsorship.

The main criteria are that the candidate is a Commonwealth citizen and one of their grandparents were born in the UK.

Apply for Ancestry Visa here

Get in touch See our jobs

Family Visa/Dependent Visa

Teachers whose partner/spouse is either a British/Irish Citizen, someone with Pre-Settled/Settled status, or has the right to work in the UK through another visa may have the right to work without requiring sponsorship, through a Family Visa

A Family Visa is a settlement visa that allows you to live in the UK for up to 2 years and 9 months, with your partner. It can be extended after this if you meet certain eligibility conditions.​

To apply for a Family Visa as a partner or spouse, you must be married to, or in a civil partnership with a British citizen, UK settled person or UK refugee. The main eligibility criteria include providing proof that you are in a genuine relationship and that you meet specific financial conditions.

To apply as a partner, you and your partner both need to be 18 or over.

Your partner must also be either:

  • be a British or Irish citizen

  • have settled in the UK - for example, they have indefinite leave to remain, settled status or proof of permanent residence

  • be from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein and have pre-settled status - they must have started living in the UK before 1 January 2021

  • have a Turkish Businessperson visa or Turkish Worker visa

  • have refugee status or humanitarian protection in the UK

You and your partner must intend to live together permanently in the UK after you apply.

If you’re applying as a fiancé, fiancée or proposed civil partner, you must prove that:

  • any previous marriages or civil partnerships have ended

  • you plan to marry or become civil partners within 6 months of arriving in the UK

You will not be able to work during your engagement.

How long you can stay?

You’ll get permission to stay for two years and 9 months, or for 6 months if you’re applying as a fiancé, fiancée or proposed civil partner.

After this, you’ll need to apply to extend your stay.

You also need to prove you:

How to apply

You’ll need to prepare information and documents to provide with your application. Click on the link to see further information.

How you apply depends on whether you’re in the UK or not.

Outside the UK

You must apply online from outside the UK.

In the UK

You must apply online.

Please note, this information should be checked on the website as may have been updated since this was posted. Found out more information here

Get in touch See our jobs

EEA – Pre-Settled or Settled Status

If you are from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein and were living in the UK in December 2020, then you will have been eligible to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme.

If you have been successful in applying for this, then they will either have Pre-Settled or Settled status; which will allow you to live and work in the UK without restriction.

Read more about this here

Get in touch See our jobs

Indefinite Leave to Remain is a form of settlement status for non-EEA citizens who have spent a certain period (normally five years) legally living in the UK.

Indefinite Leave to Remain allows a person to live, work and study in the UK without restrictions.

If you decide to stay in the UK indefinitely then this is the step you are most likely to take once you have been here for five years. This would then replace any other visa you are on.

You can check if you are able to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain here –  apply to settle in the UK 

Get in touch See our jobs


See our latest vacancies


Teacher of English

Central Bedfordshire | £27000 - £50000 per annum


Drama Teacher

Guildford | £27000 - £50000 per annum


Design Technology Teacher

Maldon | £25000 - £41000 per annum


Science Teacher

Leatherhead | £27000 - £50000 per annum


Geography Teacher

Chelmsford | £25000 - £45000 per annum


Criminology Teacher

Surrey | £25000 - £50000 per annum


Teacher of Psychology

Buckinghamshire | £30000 - £45000 per annum


English Teacher

Northampton | £28000 - £38810 per annum +


Biology Teacher

Cambridgeshire | £28000 - £45000 per annum


Teacher of Music

Norfolk | £25000 - £35000 per annum + Negotiable


Teacher of Chemistry & Physics

Northamptonshire | £24000 - £45000 per annum + Dependent on experience


RE Teacher

Harlow | £25000 - £35000 per annum