What checks do I need to teach in the UK?

• Candidate Interview/Registration

• Verified 5 Year Career History

• Enhanced DBS Certificate

• Overseas Police Checks (from every country in which you have spent more than 6 months in the past 5 years)

• Identity checks

• Referencing (minimum of two professional references)

• Proof of address check

• Change of name check (where applicable)

• Qualification check (including ENIC Check where applicable)

• Right to Work check

• Medical fitness to work check

• Childcare Disqualification Form (where applicable)

Get in touch See our jobs

​​What is a DBS check and do I need to have one?

A DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) check, was once called a CRB (Criminal Records Bureau) check.

The DBS is a non-departmental public body of the Home Office of the United Kingdom. They look at an individual’s record and scan for spent and unspent convictions, cautions, reprimands and warnings. They may also search through intelligence held by the police. The check searches police records and, in relevant cases, barred list information. After the searches are complete a DBS certificate is issued to the applicant.

The DBS check allows businesses in the public, private and voluntary sectors to make safer recruitment decisions by identifying candidates who may be unsuitable for certain types of work. This is particularly important where it involves children or vulnerable adults.

As a teacher, it is a legal requirement to obtain a DBS check prior to entering school grounds.

iCan Teach UK can help you through the process of getting your UK DBS. This can be started before you arrive in the UK. The first step is to get in touch with one of our team and we can talk you through exactly what you need to do to get started.

There are 3 different types of checks available:

  • Basic Disclosure Check

  • Standard DBS Check

  • Enhanced DBS Check (This is the check you require to work in schools - so don't get any of the others)

How do I apply for a UK DBS?

You will be required to apply for a UK DBS at the earliest opportunity and we can help with every step of the process.

If you have secured a job working through iCan Teach UK then we will manage this for you. However, if you have been appointed to a role directly with a school, it is much more likely that their HR team will begin this process with you.

Get in touch See our jobs

​Who is ENIC?

ENIC (European Network of Information Centres - formerly NARIC)is there to provide information and advice on qualifications. This is where you will be able to obtain a 'Statement of Comparability', which in essence is to show that the qualifications you hold are comparable in the UK.

Do I need a 'Statement of Comparability'?

You require a 'Statement of Comparability' if you are not eligible to apply for Automatic QTS. If you are trained in Jamaica, South Africa, or another country that is not in the EEA, then it is that you would require a Statement of Comparability. Also if you are trained elsewhere have not completed any required period of induction to be a fully qualified teacher there.

How do I apply?

To apply please click on this link

How much does it cost?

The Statement of Comparability costs £49.50 + VAT* + plus delivery charge - see delivery options for details

Get in touch See our jobs


See our latest vacancies


Teacher of English

Central Bedfordshire | £27000 - £50000 per annum


Drama Teacher

Guildford | £27000 - £50000 per annum


Design Technology Teacher

Maldon | £25000 - £41000 per annum


Science Teacher

Leatherhead | £27000 - £50000 per annum


Geography Teacher

Chelmsford | £25000 - £45000 per annum


Criminology Teacher

Surrey | £25000 - £50000 per annum


Teacher of Psychology

Buckinghamshire | £30000 - £45000 per annum


English Teacher

Northampton | £28000 - £38810 per annum +


Biology Teacher

Cambridgeshire | £28000 - £45000 per annum


Teacher of Music

Norfolk | £25000 - £35000 per annum + Negotiable


Teacher of Chemistry & Physics

Northamptonshire | £24000 - £45000 per annum + Dependent on experience


RE Teacher

Harlow | £25000 - £35000 per annum